Which age group do you belong to?

Wednesday 5 October 2011

Song choice

I chose the song Stereo Hearts by Gym class heroes for my music video. This is the original video for it:



This song is by Gym Class Heroes and is a collaboration with Adam Levine, a member of Maroon 5 and was released on iTunes on the 14th of June 2011 and was produced by Benny Blanco. Gym Class heroes are an American hip hop band from Geneva, New York and were first signed by Fueled by Ramen and Decaydance Records which is their bassist's independent record label. They officially formed in 1997 and at the moment their are four members of the group who are Tr
avie McCoy, Disashi Lumumba-Kasongo, Eric Roberts and Matt McGinley who all have separate roles from rapping to playing guitar. In 2007, the band won three awards from MTV for best group, best new artist and ultimate urban. This group is managed by Crush Management and the producer of this video: Benny Blanco is an American songwriter and producer from Reston, Virginia who has teamed up with many big artists such as Katy Perry, Justin Bieber and Britney Spears.
The song starts with Adam Levine singing the hook: "My heart's a stereo/it beats for you, so listen close" followed by Travie Mccoy's rap about serenading his perfect girl and choosing love over animosity. He relays this message through the use of clever music-based metaphors. This video plays on the idea that they are all just living life normally : dressing casually, hanging out, being themselves and then their shadows become bigger and expand. The video shows the band playing in New York and their shadows are playing music on the floor in a reflective kind of way and Adam Levine sings on a T.V screen in a pawn shop which looks like a live T.V performance.
There was also a lyric video released which was made by Djay Brawner which was of a man and woman in a split screen getting dressed then eventually meeting in a park after walking around with a boom box on their shoulder.
Lyrics:
[Adam Levine]

My heart's a stereo
It beats for you, so listen close
Hear my thoughts in every note, oh oh

Make me your radio
Turn me up when you feel low
This melody was meant for you
Just sing along to my stereo

[Travie McCoy]

If I was just another dusty record on the shelf
Would you blow me off and play me like everybody else
If I asked you to scratch my back, could you manage that
Like it read well, check it Travie, I can handle that
Furthermore, I apologize for any skipping tracks
It's just the last girl that played me left a couple cracks
I used to used to used to used to, now I’m over that
Cause holding grudges over love is ancient artefact's

If I could only find the note to make you understand
I'd sing it softly in your ear and grab you by the hands
Keep it stuck inside your head, like your favourite tune
And know my heart's a stereo that only plays for you

[Chorus]

My heart's a stereo
It beats for you, so listen close
Hear my thoughts in every note, oh oh

Make me your radio
And turn me up when you feel low
This melody was meant for you
So sing along to my stereo

Oh oh oh oh To my stereo
Oh oh oh oh So sing along to my stereo

[Travie McCoy]
If I was an old school, fifty pound boom box
Would you hold me on your shoulder, wherever you walk
Would you turn my volume up in front of the cops
And crank it higher every time they told you to stop
And all I ask is that you don't get mad at me
When you have to purchase mad D batteries
Appreciate every mix tape your friends make
You never know we come and go like on the interstate

I think I finally found a note to make you understand
If you can hit it, sing along and take me by the hand
Keep me stuck inside your head, like your favourite tune
You know my heart's a stereo that only plays for you

[Chorus]

My heart's a stereo
It beats for you, so listen close
Hear my thoughts in every note, oh oh

Make me your radio
Turn me up when you feel low
This melody was meant for you
So sing along to my stereo

Oh oh oh oh To my stereo
Oh oh oh oh So sing along to my stereo

[Bridge]

I only pray you'll never leave me behind
Because good music can be so hard to find
I take your hand and hold it closer to mine
Thought love was dead, but now you're changing my mind

[Chorus]

My heart's a stereo
It beats for you, so listen close
Hear my thoughts in every note, oh oh

Make me your radio
And turn me up when you feel low
This melody was meant for you
So sing along to my stereo

Oh oh oh oh To my stereo
Oh oh oh oh So sing along to my stereo

 
Textual Analysis:











In  this shot, Travie Mccoy is sat on the steps of an old traditional house you would expect to see in New York (which is were its set). This gives the idea of the video being about working class people in the streets of New York. This medium close up shot shows Travie with stubble and a beney hat you would associate with people who care more for the profession than appearance and perhaps connotes the difficulty of his life sat on some steps with a large stereo which could also show music is his life and further reflects the song lyrics which say about turning to music when you are having hard times and to make music as influential to you as your heartbeat is. Dark clothing worn by Travie reflects the genre of his style of music;rap which isn't labelled by clothing as much as music ability. The mis en scene of this shot also makes me think that he is near the bottom of society (bottom steps) to reflect upon his clothing choice and being four or five steps from the top (perhaps were he want to be or sees himself with the girl he wants). In this particular shot, all the colours use are natural and there are no light or overly bright colours which again reflects the artists 'no frills' fashion sense and lifestyles.

 


This wide shot has a lot of mis en scene and further re enforces the quality of life the video is filmed around with bikes Lent up against walls and a park bench next to it. A very clever effect is used during the shot were Travie is picked up by his shadow in the background but the one in the fore ground remains stood singing with the same outfit as the previous shot on. While this shot is on screen, the music playing says 'grab you by the hands' which is a clever play on words as the hand shadow picks up Travie.





Another clever wide shot but this time upside down to give the idea we are almost living with shadows (the past) and they seem the norm in this shot as they continue singing the song. The road is free of traffic which could show that no one in habits were they are in this shot and again connote the idea of this being an old place which is known for its past. This clip goes with the words 'if i was an old school fifty pound boom box' which again is reflected in whats happening in the current scene and gives the song a form of narrative to go along with the imagery of the lyrics.



Yet another wide shot is used here with Travie sitting on top of a Mini Cooper with the shadow of a stereo the size of the car to show his heart's a stereo and reflect the song lyrics imagery and ideology. Again the lyrics have a reference to whats going on with it this time being 'all i ask is that you don't get mad at me' which shows the rebellious side to sitting on a new car which you wouldn't associate with being usual behaviour. Even with the car in this shot, the neutral/natural look and colour scheme is maintained which is unusual for this genre of music as they prefer flashy and expensive things.





This close up shows the emotion and facial expression in Adam Levine's face to reflect through the lyrics to the audience.This effect is done through a T.V in a shop window making it look like he's live on the T.V. The black background gives me the idea he is alone (no girl) and until he gets the girl he's singing about his life won't be the full picture or truly satisfactory. The reason behind this close up is to show who he means when he sings 'make me your radio' to again reflect the ideology behind the lyric.








No comments:

Post a Comment